PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dedicated Home for Brilliant Pics on AH&N (Merged)
Old 30th Dec 2004, 11:20
Vfrpilotpb

Senis Semper Fidelis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crashed Beaufighter Sardinia 1944

This Beau crashed as a result of being shot up by a Flak ship moored on the far side of an German Troop/freighter, whilst loosing of rockets into said ship and pounding it with everything they had, when they flew over the top they flew through a barrage of flak, its seems the tyres were shot through as well as the Beau itself, when getting back to the airfield Alan Powell the Pilot (still with us, and living in North Wales) found out he had next to no Hydraulics and as soon as they touched the ground, in his words "things got very interesting" the Beau being built like a battleship saved the pilot and Nav/airgunner my father.

In the picture Alan Powell the pilot can be seen on top of the glazing retrieving some of his kit , whilst my father can just be seen between the engine and the cockpit side.

The Beau was a write off, with the starboard engine having partially detached slicing into the cockpit area whilst the fast slide broke or bent the main wing spar.

I hope you find this of interest.

PeterR-B
Vfrpilotpb

Last edited by Vfrpilotpb; 10th Feb 2005 at 08:25.