PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Female pilots at Ryanair???
View Single Post
Old 30th Dec 2004, 09:23
Whirlybird

The Original Whirly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nardi Riviera,
Whirlybird: As a sensible professional, you probably got tired of this "childish crap", but perhaps airing it ever so often MAY serve some purpose.
Actually, I always post on these threads, when I happen to see them. The reason? I mentioned to another female pilot/ppruner some years ago that I wasn't going to waste my time with this kind of crap. She said that if we didn't tell it like it is, things would never change. I decided she was right. I think she's posted on this thread, though she's changed her user name so I'm not certain.

Anyway, as you say, friendly banter is totally different from real prejudice....and yes, we CAN tell the difference.

Concerning the relatively few women in aviation, I asked my 17 year old neighbour about this. She soloed on a motor glider with the ATC in minimal hours, is training to instruct for them, and wants to join the RAF. I asked her if young girls in general felt any differently to us older folks. "Oh no", she said, "It's just not a girlie thing to do, is it?"

Seems like some things never change...or change exceedingly slowly.