PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gravity question for Christmas.
View Single Post
Old 30th Dec 2004, 06:55
Loose rivets
Psychophysiological entity

Location: Tweet Rob_Benham Famous author. Well, slightly famous.
Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts
Season’s greetings.

Well, great to get so much interest. At the time I asked the question, I needed to keep it simple because of wine induced attenuation of the axon-to-dendrite junctions.

A trick? No, it was meant to be a simple question, a reduction of the storyline data below. I did wonder if anyone would extrapolate to the zero gravity nucleolus, then out again to start the calculation.

Having read Dan Brown’s Da Vinci Code, I noticed Angels and Demons on one of my kid’s book shelves, and in the first few pages the hero finds himself on a flight in a Boeing X-33 HSCT. You know, it’s the two hundred foot one, with silicon fibers in its titanium matrix. But it’s O.K., it runs on slush hydrogen. Its 20:1 thrust weight ration soon take our hero up to 60,000' and Mach15 on his way to Geneva from the U.S.

At some point, the captain tells our man that “you’re thirty percent lighter up there.” That’s what got me wondering. Since I only had my granddaughter’s crayons, and an old party hat to write on, I went to pprune for the answer. I guess with this enhanced data, it ups the anti a little. Any takers? But you can ignore the La Grange point without losing any street-cred. (The hours I’ve spent wondering what happens to spacetime at that point.)

While on the subject, I can’t resist asking cos I’m barred from using the word gravity at home; it’s called the g-word by Mrs Rivits and banned years ago. Does anyone has any knowledge of a gravitational model that suggests that matter is changing scale? By matter I mean the actual modification of spacetime that we perceive as particles, not just the distance between them. I suggested eons ago that a fabric of space, Ether 11 if you like, was curving because of an inflow to feed this scale-change. It seems to comply with GR and works tantalizingly well in explaining the difference between rotating and non-rotating black holes ( Hawking ), gravitational red shift etc., but breaks down because of the need to retain certain aspects of inertia. Discussion / mail with qualified bods has been met with polite interest and even a little puzzled nodding, but is usually followed with them walking away to get on with some serious work.