PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Female pilots at Ryanair???
View Single Post
Old 29th Dec 2004, 20:28
Nardi Riviera

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whirlybird: As a sensible professional, you probably got tired of this "childish crap", but perhaps airing it ever so often MAY serve some purpose. I happily jumped onto the bandwagon, then searched the site when you mentioned similar threads. Many thanks to all the gals who came out from the safe haven of the woodwork to post here.

Most threads/posts addressing the issue were not all too serious or even misplaced (Jet Blast or Agony Aunt by wannabe gals too timid to post in "real" sections – typical female trait?), but did find a few rewarding "gems", hereby link to a couple that about sums it all up and proves what gals in aviation have to deal with:
http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthr...rporate+pilots
http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthr...=female+pilots

Some threads are brought to an abrupt end whenever some bloated male ego finds it suitable to drop a doggiedoo in order to have everyone turn away holding their noses, and thus closing the case. Call it whatever you wish.

Friendly banter from any guy is just fun and no problem, whereas covert "sabotage" by prejudiced conservatives who hate their territory being "invaded" by females is a totally different ballgame. "Harassment" will have different interpretations depending on gender – women are eternally tired of said angle, which they encounter everywhere. Alas, some men never EVER get tired of the male/female subject. If women try to reciprocate, it will be interpreted as sexual come-on, thus back to "base one".

Naturally it may seem unfair that the small percentage of females in aviation should be treated equal to the larger percentage males, but after all you guys have enjoyed the territory alone for ages while women were involuntary confined to the kitchen, so why not give the girls now some leeway now to make up for it?

When a man goofs professionally, fellow men will look the other way (unless they're after his position, in which case they'll kill him). When a woman makes a mistake, it's all over the grapevine (whoever claimed that men never gossip?) due to the fact that women in aviation are few and therefore more noticeable.

Most forums have posts where boys/men call out for more female participation in aviation. They need to understand that the trick is to invite/accommodate girls from early age on! When females reach the age of 20+, the eternal pressure of social conformity has influenced their role models way too long. Luckily, this changes as time goes by. In my younger days, the uncompromising option was the kitchen no matter what. Today I'd give an arm/leg to be just a few years younger and get in.

I have noted that posters from "down under" seem to have a more relaxed attitude to female pilots. Happy to hear more from you guys to alleviate the pain!

All in all, after reading all these threads, my impression is that most sane unbiased male pilots (blessed species) thoroughly enjoy the company of female co-workers (as long as the gals are able to do the job properly), and are more than happy to provide sound advice and follow-up. These guys actually are very proud when gals excel and reach their goal, contrary to what we hear from some few "dinosaurs" (young or old).

SOME GIRLS ACTUALLY DO LOVE FLYING AS MUCH AS ANY GUY!!!

EastCoaster – your input may be a bit off-thread. We'll check in at ATC-Forum.

Last edited by Nardi Riviera; 29th Dec 2004 at 20:39.