PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tsunami - Australia sends troops... to Iraq
Old 29th Dec 2004, 20:22
Howard Hughes
Sprucegoose

Location: Hughes Point, where life is great! Was also resident on page 13, but now I'm lost in Cyberspace....
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ithcy,

Now let me answer each point in turn.

Do you think dealing with this disaster is solely the responsibility of the ADF?
No, but surely when called upon for help we can expect our armed forces to be sufficiently equipped to handle the response.

What level of emergency response is acceptable to you then?
The best we can afford, if not then perhaps we should providing better funding.

I think they are doing well considering the primary role of the Australian Defence Force is self-evident and definitely not disaster-relief
I totally agree that the primary role of the ADF, or any defence force for that matter is DEFENCE. However a secondary and no less important role is disaster relief (ie: Cyclone Tracy).

Anyway they are limited to what the government mandates they will carry out. They are no more than another government tool (and that is not a sly reference to politicians in general), carrying out policy, as always.
I totally agree.

Do you really know enough about the capabilities of the ADF to make such a sweeping comment?
No more than any other concerned citizen, but my point was not to denegrate the capabilities of our defence force, more to point out that IMHO there should be more funding for the ADF. Apologies to you and any current/former members of the ADF if I offended in any way. Whilst I am also, not qualified to comment, I do believe that they do an amazing job, given the financial and political costraints that they work within.

Cheers, HH.

PS: Note to self, refrain from making sweeping political comments on public site in future.