PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LHR Breathtest. Update: Captain jailed
View Single Post
Old 29th Dec 2004, 13:27
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I find the whole matter quite disturbing, for the following reasons.

Firstly, nothing can condone anyone who puts an a/c or peoples' lives at risk through use of alchohol, and I would speculate that those who might cross the line do so without malice and form a miniscule % of the profession. Is this a sledge hammer to crack a nut?

1. This law has been imposed, it would seem, without any consultation with the parties involved, i.e. the pilot unions. Why not? Surely anything that effects the working conditions of a whole profession should have included both sides in the discussions. Indeeed the unions should have insisted on it. And it would also seem very little medical consultation was taken.

2. Most similar laws, to my best knowledge, are clear about when you cross the line. i.e. one is aware at all times which side of the line one is on. In this case, not so. as has been said previously, the line is a scientific number, but its threshold is uncertain and will be different for different people, and even the same person under differing circumstances. Cars are provided with speedometers, a/c with altimeters. These alert us to limits constantly. They are standard issue. Should we not now be issued with a meter capable of alerting us to the limit, or are we obliged to purchase one ourselves? Either way, the law was introduced without any advice how we can identify the line. Is that responsible?

3. Without expressing any opinion on drinking for pleasure, it is obvious many people do, especially with a meal. It has really changed the meaning of a Day Off if 24 hours is the only insurance, and even that might be a guess. The requested Day Off for e.g. a wedding or birthday party may, for some, be not as festive as it once was. It is easy to say that this limit of 20mg is a good thing. Question is, do we know that it is necessary, or would 40mg or 60mg have been good enough? And if the higher figures would have achieved the desired result, will the current limit ever change? Will there be a review of this legislation?

4. It is said that 20mg was decided by HMG to bring us in line with JARS. I've always been told that JARS have no legal standing,but are only recommendations, and therefore are guidelines which nations can adopt or not. Blank adoption of these limits without research and consultation smacks of laziness at best and deriliction of duty to ones own at worst. (FTLs next.)

The future:
In one major European country they treat drink driving thus. If caught frequently with minor levels of excess, or once with high excess, you lose the licence for 12 months at least. An analysis of your blood is done. I'm told they can tell, not only the A) alchohol content at present, but also your use of alchohol over the past B) short & C) medium time periods. During your penalty period medical counselling is given and it is recommended to have periodic checks to ensure samples B) & C) are reducing. At the end of the penalty period you have to apply for the return of your licence. Then a further blood analysis is taken. If samples B) & C) show that you are still using alchohol outside the prescribed limits you may not get it back.
How soon before our medicals include such tests? I was once told by a medical centre that you could be 100% sober for the medical, but they could analyse if you were over using alcohol, if they wanted to. No drinking 24 hours before flying may get you below 20mg, but may not mean you are clean completely.
I wonder if this legislation is the thin end of a very large wedge which we have yet to appreciate.
Given the rosters of some crews, was it really the intention of our elected representatives to turn flying into an almost T'Total profession? Is the same limit applied to other public transport workers? And if not, why not?