PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Does CASA Have Serious Problems?
View Single Post
Old 29th Dec 2004, 03:36
Chimbu chuckles

Grandpa Aerotart

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There are now and always have been very good people working for CASA....unfortunately the critical mass of unemployable, dishonest, incompetents was passed many years ago and there effect is the one most often felt by the industry.

My personal experience of CASA over the years has been more bad than good by a considerable margin.

Ask anyone who is, or has ever been, a Chief Pilot what they think of CASA over a few beers...sit back and be stunned by the stories of incompetence, dishonesty and sheer bastardry.

A Chief Pilot is supposed to be CASA's representative within the company...this supposes a level of trust and support for the CP against sometimes aggressive management.

The last time I was a CP, and I'll never accept that post again, my tenure ended after collusion between an ex mil CASA FOI and ex Mil management because I wouldn't lower my standards and do things like "Tell your pilots they can't say no to flying on their day off"...even when the only instance of that ever happening was an individual who was having his only rostered day off in 7 after the other 6 being on call 24 hrs a day. Or insisting that the jet we operated stay grounded until an undercarriage problem was fixed against constant pressure from 'management'.

After 6 months of digging my heels in over a raft of issues I was sacked and CASA immediately approved the most junior and inexperienced Captain in the company (<3000TT) over a 16000hr ex airline Fleet Captain and jet C&Ter as the new CP...even when they knew, as one CASA FOI admitted to me, that he was just a yes man for the management. Even when they were shown where to look to see evidence of his logbook command hrs being a work of fiction...even when it was proved that he had taken off 9000lbs over RTOW at night in high terrain...and on another occasion caused another jet to take evasive manouvres to avoid collision becase he wanted to argue with ATC rather than follow his clearance....when they were given evidence that he had been involved with the operation of another aircraft, on behalf of the company and after I left, completely illegally with a stretcher tied across the seats blocking the only emergency exit...etc etc. My efforts to sack him being blocked by his manager mate.

6 months of being backstabbed by this young pilot who was winding up a similarly incompetent, dishonest manager and pointing him at me (and the other 16000hr Captain).. was then approved as CASA's 'representative' within the company. The company imploded a year later and everyone was sacked, including the 'manager', by the parent multinational.

That individual is probably reading this and knows I am talking about him....think you won? Have you worked since in a corporate jet? Wonder why no-one will employ you in Oz? There's a reason for that you know....not that I'd know what that might be

Still CASA will employ you...you're probably already there although I don't know that for a fact.

He is the type that gets into CASA as a FOI on a far too regular basis...and why CASA is as it is.

Last edited by Chimbu chuckles; 29th Dec 2004 at 06:14.