PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Two Pakistan passenger jets nearly collide
Old 29th Dec 2004, 00:12
BigAir

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Driver,

Are those hull loss figures down to crashes in the unintended landing sense, or just general hull loses?

It is late and have none of my reference material with me, but I seem to recall that hull loses can occur in a number of ways and perhaps the age of the "3rd world" fleets might account for a hull loss whereas a newer a/c from a "first world" carrier suffering the same incident may have been repaired rather than scrapped due to the financial aspect?

Also, figures for % flights / % accidents by region... takes no account in size of a/c - heavily mountainous regions and nasty weather with small aircraft crashing would worry me less than a different region having fewer accidents but with bigger planes and therefore more dead...perhaps here ASK vs fatalities could be a useful measure.

Sorry, but I Am always dubious about those figures and having worked previously as an analyst know how figures can be bent to say what you want. As other people have said, RSK/ASK flown vs (or per) fatalities might be a more useful measure to your argument - would be interested if you can dig these up.

Ali,

If you wish to fly internally within Pakistan, how else would one do it other than fly with a "3rd world carrier".... methinks there might be some cabotage issues if American Airlines or someone like that were to operate there.

BigAir