PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Old 2 Colour ILS Displays....any info?/Pictures
Old 28th Dec 2004, 19:40
Wodrick

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is difficult, memory fades, but either Bendix or Sperry did an H.S.I. that was fitted to something old, I can’t remember but it was either old ex Pan – Am 707s or old 747s or even A300B4s. Anyway it was a mechanical wonder and the whole of the deviation mechanism, including the scale, rotated along with the pre-set course pointer. In VOR use the whole thing was a white on black presentation with a red fail flag. In ILS use you had to set the course pointer to the runway QDM the red fail flag was biased out of view and replaced with a Glide slope scale which also rotated with the assembly. I think there was a red flag that covered the scale until an adequate G/S signal was being received. The Localiser flag was a Blue and Yellow affair that came into view with an adequate signal and was lined up with the Course pointer.

I have also seen, in the dim and distant past an indicator which again was a rotating mechanism, allowing setting of QDM which had a fixed G/S presentation at the side of the instrument, a rotating Loc scale at the top of the rotating bit and the Loc pointer (the whole thing) was painted blue/yellow. It was like a dart with the point working against the scale. In VOR use it was all biased out of view and replaced with a conventional white on black presentation. I am struggling to remember where I saw that and am leaning to a pretty old F27 which would have been Loganair longer ago than I care to think about.

The fixed instrument, described above was also quite common at one time, seen a few of those.