PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What would make the PERFECT Flying Jacket?
Old 28th Dec 2004, 16:11
Genghis the Engineer

Received 49 Likes on 25 Posts
ARM POCKET - 2 slots for pens / 1 larger slot (for torch or Leatherman) / Flap cover (serves 2 purposes - No.1 Looks better, No.2 stops pens falling out) / Concealed zip pocket underneath flap for Epaulettes, Leatherman etc

Should work

COLLAR - Look like a Ski jacket collar but shorter (Can be worn with zip right to top if cold OR folded down) / No fleece lining / Would a hood be needed?
I must admit I've found that hood useful quite a few times when faffing on an airfield or with an aircraft in need of tieing down or a little TLC. But, I'd only retain it so long as it doesn't get in the way (and on the Mk3 it doesn't).

EPAULETTES - Velcro fastened all the way along to the neck (This will stop it flapping about) / Will also make it look more discreet when not worn at work
Should make sense - I certainly don't actually need them, and I'm sure that's true of most civvies

LEFT CHEST ID POCKET - ID Badge to be velcro secured on / Flap covering when not at work / Zip pocket behind the pocket designed to fit Licence or Log book / Can also fit in gloves etc
Not sure. ID / wings / badges come in various forms and shapes. My instinct would be to go with the approach I'm using at the moment - matching velcro.

RIGHT CHEST POCKET - Zip secured internal pocket / Specially designed to hold Mobile phone and Sunglasses/Glasses
Big enough to hold an ICOM?

BOTTOM POCKETS - Fleece lined hand warmer pockets (Similar to those on Ski jackets
That'll work, although it would be nice to have the option of zipping them up.

WAISTBAND - Like the MK3 / No elastic, just elastic internal pulleys either side that are accessed inside the bottom pockets (This should sort out problems of the cords getting caught on controls etc) / ALSO a higher waist pulley (Like on Ski jackets. Gives you the option of further waist tightening so you don't get loose fabric in cockpit)
Again, should work

CUFFS - Velcro secured with loose elastic on back of cuff (Taken again from Ski jackets)

MAIN ZIP - Open zip with covering flap on inside of jacket (Mainly designed so that the jacket can be put on/taken off quickly. This is a concern for HEMS crews when they are in a rush. MK3 buttons would be a problem if you are trying to get the jacket on when rushing to the aircraft. Covering flap in New jacket would do just as good a job
I'm unconvinced of your criticism of the Mk3, but I'm sure that you're approach will work. Just a thought here, my old G3 (classic WW2 fur-lined) does tend in some cockpits for the zip to ride down when I was in no position to spare a hand to sort it but admitting some quite deeply irritating draughts. I've always been slightly paranoid since about zips coming an inch or two open at the top - which in sub-zero / open cockpit is unhealthy. On the G3 I solved this with an "unauthorised mod" of a small leather strap added to the zip fastener which went through the neck buckle.

RIGHT ARM FREQUENCY POCKET - Still need feedback on this. The idea is to have something like a Kneeboard design but smaller and less cumbersome. ANY IDEAS?
The more I think about this, the more I think that I'd rather just leave it on my kneeboard and not my jacket. Mil users would (potentially) have a security problem there anyhow.

PIT ZIPS - Full length pit zips that can be done up/undone whilst in flight
Never had such a thing to play with, so pass!

STRETCH MATERIAL - Underam amd elbow joints (Stretch fabric points under arms and elbow joints as this is where it is needed most in the cockpit. e.g When you are stretching up for buttons above you, Check A's, Very applicable for HEMS Parmedics)

FABRIC - Waterproof, Breathable lining / BLACK for civilian use / YELLOW HIGH VIZ with scotchlite tape for HEMS / FR Navy for Police
I know I'm old fashioned, but I do actually quite like green - and it allows it's use without question by mil aircrew if they choose to go shopping. Bottom line is - give a choice!

ZIP IN FLEECE - To make the jacket more versatile in all conditions
Or save yourself trouble and make it compatible with one of the standard outdoors zip-in fleeces?

ELBOW PATCH - Extra fabric from elbow to Cuff as this seems to be high wear areas
And please could the elbows be heat/flame resistant - this may sound daft but I've seen many flying suits melted through at the elbows from contact with bits of aircraft techically unreachable.

INNER ZIP POCKET - Very large inner pocket so it can take maps and other large items (Abit like Barbour internal pockets)
Amen

Well, that's my slant on it anyway, hope it's useful.

G