PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ground Effects and Airspeed
View Single Post
Old 28th Dec 2004, 14:27
Foxx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GE and Pentagon

"CBR F4i Quote..."The Pentagon was what I was "secretly" talking about with all this GE business.

I've heard a few say it was impossible for the plane to hit it due to ground effects..."
-------------

'Notso Fantastic' Reply...

"If so, no plane could fly into the ground!"

----------------

Foxx Reply...

" 'NotSoFantastic' gives a perfectly logical answer to the way the question is worded.

The question asks is it 'impossible' to crash a plane because of GE?

I don't recall anyone saying that it would be impossible to 'crash' a plane into the pentagon building because GE would stop or hinder a plane from 'crashing'.

What I have said from the beginning is that a 757 cannot be brought low enough in a stable landing attitude at the cruising speed of 400 knots or so to hit the pentagon as low to the ground that it was hit. If the pilot had slowed to a landing speed of 150 mph he could get the plane stabily to that height. Without lowering the speed as well as application of airbraking systems, lift dampeners, and trim flaps to slow enough to get to that height above the ground, the trajectory is 'impossible'.

The Boeing 757 is not known as an 'acrobatic aircraft'.

I would doubt the most experienced military / stunt fliers in the world would attempt entering into GE at high speed. In order to 'push' through the dynamic ram flow of air between the wing and the ground surface, split miliseconds of control factors would have to be accounted for in order to compensate for changing AoA. Ground interferences such as buildings and topography would also seriously affect the pilots ability to make control adjustments at almost impossible speeds in order to keep the craft stable for as long an approach as was achieved.

Compounding all the above issues, you now ask me to make a 'leap of faith' that, inexperienced Cessna flier Hani Hanjour, (who had never before controlled a 757), miraculously controlled that plane in ever changing GE conditions more professionally than any experienced Boeing pilot would dare attempt.

It has often been pointed out that Hani Hanjour could fly the 757 with a minimum of experience. I can believe that - the 757 is often quoted by pilots to be a very easy aircraft to fly. Flying at cruise speed at altitude in a 757, I think could be accomplished by almost anyone if someone showed you the basics.

Bringing the thing into 'terrain-hugging' GE flight at full speed, I would think would require a much more extensive training. You will have to get some serious evidence to prove the case to me that Hani Hanjour could have possibly performed this manuever.

Actually, there is a schematic 'scale' drawing superimposing the 757 profile against the building which shows that IF the body hit at the height of the impact zone, the port engine pod would have been dragging through the...

Amazing PentaLawn.
http://killtown.911review.org/pentalawn.html