PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What would make the PERFECT Flying Jacket?
Old 28th Dec 2004, 10:41
John Eacott

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Arrow

Scrawny,

Note your comments, interesting re the ski jacket link after my earlier remarks

I've also got a USN leather jacket, and the fleece collar is (IMHO) ornamental. For a true flying jacket, able to be used in the cockpit, it's liable to dislodge the earpieces on a headset when you turn your head, or catch on the cord at the back of a helmet. The Mk3 has a "hollow" collar, which I keep an old mil issue towelling scarf for the cold days. that's more than thick enough for a flying jacket collar. The hood comment is fair, but for showers, the gaberdine material on the Mk3 has always been adequate, and the hood is the same. If you're going to produce/improve on the kit, make it waterproof with a treatment similar to a ski jacket.

Pockets are never going to suit everyone. Some like them accessible from the outside, like the Mk3, some prefer flying overall type pockets, accessed from across the chest. Personal preference, impossible to be all things to all men. I like the Mk3 style, but it would stand redesign or improvement. A couple of additional pockets, tho', would be an improvement.

Thanks for the interest: looking forward to the end result