PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Enstrom Corner
Thread: Enstrom Corner
View Single Post
Old 28th Dec 2004, 08:47
DennisK

Location: Kings Caple, Ross-on-Wye.orPiccots End. Hertfordshire
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buying an Enstrom

Ref the above ..... first can I declare an interest.

Working from Shoreham Airport in the 70's and early 80's for that super entrepreneur, Roy Spooner, the company held the European distribution rights for the Enstrom product. I was their salesman !!

During that time, I sold 138 of the model F28.s and 280 Sharks and thelater 'dash two' series. It was then the success story of its time, before the Robinson came along and swamped it, mainly for training.

The type is a very fine machine but with some difficult areas of maintenance. Many engineers don't like the type, some won't even maintain them hence the 'Hangar Queens' around the country. But as other engineers will tell you (they know who they are and I'll name names if I'm asked !!) .... when the type is properly maintained and flown fairly regularly, it is without equal in its market.

Fast at around 100mph (VNE 117 mph) AND 11-12 gals per hour, big roomy 5 foot wide cabin, (three comfortable seats abreast) 7 cu ft, 60lb capacity luggage locker, (100lbs in the later versions) super looks (it won Fortune magazines best designed industrial product in the 70's) ...... and the later 'Greg Focella' nose on the 280 Shark made it the best looking helicopter you could buy. IMHO !! .... then terrific handling with nicely co-ordinated controls and as my old publicity blurb always said ..... the type can be trimmed to fly 'hands and feet off.' which I still demonstrate. It is fuel injected of course so no carb ice, engine failure possibilities. 40 usg fuel gives around 250 sm range. The turbo version should be leaned to give 83lb per hour fuel flow and 100mph.

Safety ? There has never been a fatality in the UK in over thirty years of operations. The type 'autorotates' almost as well as the 206. And can be safely autorotated to a full stop ground landing in training as will be demonstrated by many instructors who know the type. And it is 'aerobatic' and has twice won the the world 'freestyle' championships. You can buy an F28A model for around £40k - £45k.

In fact one could be forgiven for wondering why anyone bought anything else !!!

But now the downside! (M/R blades later !!)

1. Difficult to track except by the whizz kids above.
2. Poor payload. Usually quoted as 'underpowered' - when in fact the problem is 'overweight' Most machines have a WPS around 1650lbs. (gross on 28A 2150lbs - but can be utility certified to 2600 !!!)
3. Only 205 bhp on a standard day which at a typical weight on a 30 degree humid day needs a pilot who is really well rrpm aware. (overcome to a large extent on the later 'turbo' models) ...... but we are talking 28A models here.
4. Indifferent factory ownership from time to time, mainly masked by an enthusiastic UK distributor.
5. Engine 'overspeeds' common, hence the Lycoming C1A engine often failing to see its published 1500 hours.
6. Occasional 'chronic' starter motor failings AND starting problems with the 'shower of sparks' starting system.

There are a few more downsides but I won't list them .... but now the M/R blades.

In my view this was the cause of so many lost sales when I was actively involved. And as Steve A points out (600 Driver) (Wish you well Steve) .... he has covered the factory MM points nicely. But as a simple pilot on an initial, non engineer inspection. Yes do the 'tap' test. A tap every inch along the leading edges top and bottom listening for any 'voiding.' This will take you an hour for three blades. The SIL allowable limit is 3 inches but even if its one you are heading for replacement. Both main and tail blades here. Trainling edges for bond separation too. You can see it easily with a m-glass. The root doublers Steve has mentioned, (no voiding sound here) and if you want to know what that sounds like just tap anywhere inboard of the blade span. Its hollow!

The blades are a leading edge 'extrusion' made by 'Alcoa' alluminium and epoxy resin glue bonded at the Menominee factory. Low use, damp weather ie humidity and temp changes cause them to suffer from 'exfoliation - inter granular corrosion' This is an absolute visual thing and is often masked by the leading edge tape protection. No excessive corrosion here although it can be trimmed/filed down to MM declared limits.

So to get back to the original concept, yes take a good long look at the marque, do some initial checks as above and if you are happy and still interested GET A FULL SURVEY DONE by a type knowledgable LAE before parting with cash. Then get into bed with the same or similar engineer and let him look after it exclusively ... warts and all as they say.

There's tons more of course, but I've probably bored too many of you. But my enthusiasm for the Enstrom marque remains. Great ship and rewarding to own. Then when the pocket allows, graduate from the 28a/280 to the Turbo C and F models.

Regards to all ppruners and guests out there.

Dennis K