PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sound Problems
Thread: Sound Problems
View Single Post
Old 27th Dec 2004, 15:21
5milesbaby

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Sound Problems...now got much worse (Windows problem!!) See third post!!

Friend of mine posed a problem he was having with his 5 year old comp - thought I'd bring it here for some proper advice.

Basically, following a virus (fully cleaned off) he has fully re-formatted and then installed Windows 98 SE. The original Windows package on the computer wasn't Second Edition but as the original disk isn't available and a 98SE was lying around (!), thats whats been loaded. However now no sound comes out through the speakers where as they worked fine before. All the usual first checks have been done (ie checked they are plugged in and turned on etc.) and a search through the system shows that the driver for the sound card hasn't been installed. Running through "other devices" in the driver menu shows PCI multimedia and PCI something else both with exclaimation marks by them, and clicking on each brings up the usual menus to attempt to install drivers from disk etc. All the methods have been tried but to no success "driver not found". Also a check with add/remove programs shows "communications" greyed out and unavailable to be touched, so the uninstall and reinstall doesn't seem available. Anyone got some advice on what could be the problem or a way to try and solve it? Layman's term answers would be appreciated!!

PS the computer is old as I said, its 64mhz processor speed and 64mb RAM, 8gb harddrive so any big downloads or installs may not quite work!!

Thanks, 5mb

Last edited by 5milesbaby; 18th Jan 2005 at 22:01.