PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bungling MAN on Boxing Day
View Single Post
Old 27th Dec 2004, 11:28
surely not

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Rwy in Sight - Does that mean you think the airport should get involved with the management of the airlines that fail to reach the On Time performance targets as set by the airport authorities, or perhaps get involved in the crewing depts of airlines who don't seem to be able to roster effectively? I thought not.

I haven't worked at MAN but I have worked at a couple of other large apts, and whether you like it or not, the a/c de-icing is the responsibility of either the individual airline or the handling agent. They buy in the very expensive de-icing machinery and the equally expensive de-icing fluid based on an expected usage, which is based on past years usages factored to take account of any business decline or increase.

The Airport is responsible for the de-icing of runways, taxiways, stands, roads etc. I cannot think that it would be any improvement whatsoever for the apts to take over responsibility for de-icing the a/c.

Running out of de-icer is rarely down to poor planning by the Handling Agents but is more normally down to production and delivery difficulties with the de-ice manufacturer or an unexpected cold snap which suddenly has EVERYONE calling the supplier for more fluid.

So you're ill informed rant at the 'fat cats' of MAN apt seems to be a long way wide of the mark.