PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What would make the PERFECT Flying Jacket?
Old 27th Dec 2004, 04:14
Ascend Charlie

Received 224 Likes on 103 Posts
The original RAAF grey/green outside / dayglo inside was a dog. The cuffs wore out quickly, the waist rode up too easily, the pen pocket got surrounded by ink lines on short finals, and coffee stains showed up too soon. And bloodstains never came out.

Wore a police leather flying jacket for 6 years, and it was already a 4-year-old hand-me-down when i got it. Excellent jacket, with a zip-in fleecy liner for winter. Somebody else is still wearing it after another 15 years.

These days I go for comfort and ease, and sacrifice some safety aspects. It is a Great Southern polyester job (probably burns very nicely), which scrunches down small enough to fit in a Flight Safety shoulder bag, along with the usual goodies. Unfolds, wrinkle-free, and provides an amazing amount of protection against wind and cold (down to -5 degrees.) Collar comes up and covers the ears.

Zip front, with a flap to cover the zip and keep the wind out, large pockets on sides and breast, with flaps and studs for FOD. Gussets on the shoulder for free arm movement, studs on cuff flaps.

Keeps some rain out, and then dries quickly when the rain stops or you get inside.

No pen pocket, unfortunately, but the dark blue colour hides coffee spills and most likely would hide me too, if I took it swimming.

For really cold and windy days, out comes the Drizabone Brumby jacket, but it is a bit bulky and I very quickly overheat once in the cockpit.