PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Caption competition
View Single Post
Old 26th Dec 2004, 23:20
Milt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Congratulations to the Winner ACW599 for his reading of the clues so accurately and some added humour with the entry

"That's much better Bloggs but we aren't quite getting the round-out right are we?"

Your prize is the great satisfaction you feel as you choose the next challenge to the sharp minded competitors.

The story behind the scene follows:-

During 1956 the Vulcan B1 was to be refitted with uprated engines. The first refit was done at Avro's plant at Woodford near Manchester. Boscombe Down sent 2 TPs and an FTE to Woodford to test the new engines at high altitude. Bristol received the "Yeah of the Day" with the results describing the engines as a "Credit to the Manufacturers."

Returning to Woodford Sqn Ldr Bloggs, relatively new to having more than one throttle in his hand, was making a steep approach to clear the high railway viaduct just short of the Woodford runway. Being experienced on Vulcan and also a QFI, I had been prompted to keep him out of trouble.

By the time I had realised that a necessary exaggerated flair was not forthcoming I made a desperate grab for the stick reefing it back to cause the nose to start coming up but just micro-seconds too late to prevent the collection of a few branches off the top of the bush in the photo as the trailing truck of the right main gear rolled up and over the lip of the bank of the stream.

It was still a heavy jarring landing closely followed by thumps as we then rode up over the lip of the runway accompanied by cries of consternation from the FTE.

An inch lower and we would have cartwheeled after leaving the right gear in the ditch.

An error in judgement such as this by a TP is rarely forgiven. It only took a 2/3 days for Bloggs to disappear from BD.