PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Female pilots at Ryanair???
View Single Post
Old 26th Dec 2004, 07:32
DennisK

Location: Kings Caple, Ross-on-Wye.orPiccots End. Hertfordshire
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Females in the cabin/cockpit ?

8am on Boxing day ... and I'm tuned in and have filled in the last fifty minutes on the thread..... Yup a really sad Christmas male !

But seriously- can I offer something from the rotary perspective.

Not too many will disagree with my view that since actual 'hands on' control is required 100% of airborne time, pilot skills/decisions are continuously and more in evidence when handling the helicopter and as a commercial/fixed wing ex service jock and CAA examiner, I'd like to throw in my pennorth.

There are around 3000 UK/CAA rotary licence holders and significantly more than 3% female. Having trained and examined some 200 pilots since the 70's, my log book tells me 26 were the fairer sex. AND I have to report that I have regularly observed a higher standard of helicopter handling from the ladies. It may be something to do with a 'self selection' process. (Rotary is usually perceived as more difficult and indeed when I was in the RAF it was necesary to have an 'above average' fixed wing assessment to be selected for helicopter training.) ...... and the ladies that do go for it are probably good squash/tennis/sports players with the necessary co-ordination and the required 'above average' abilities.

But for whatever reason, I just repeat, that the majorityof female pilots I have flown with, demonstrated the smooth handling, nicely co-ordinated control that is so pleasant to see and feel from the trainer's/examiners seat.

Sorry to butt in to a fixed wing/flight deck argument/discussion since I'm now a confirmed 'Rotorhead' but felt some sexual balance to the thread was overdue.

I suppose 'offshore' and 'SAR' roles must really sort the men from ... dare I say it .. the boys, but can we have some comments from that area perhaps.

Happy Christmas to all and everyone ...

Rotorboy.

PS. My wife has put the whip away now ... Just joking.