PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LHR Breathtest. Update: Captain jailed
View Single Post
Old 26th Dec 2004, 07:25
Heliport

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bjcc
Yes, many others “have, if not defended this guy, agreed that he shouldn't be slated for what he did”, just as others have said they don’t admire or approve of what the guard did, or think he could have handled it better. The difference is everyone else has given their opinion and left it, not come back and repeated what they’ve already said. It's only a side-issue, not the central issue.

Maybe Mach79’s description ‘pontificating’ was a bit harsh, but you do come across as pronouncing your opinions as if they’re unarguable facts rather than your opinions.
If someone reads the thread and isn’t persuaded by what you’ve already said, you’re not going to persuade them to change their minds by saying the same thing again. All you achieve is sidetracking the discussion into one side-issue which helps no-one and causes irritation.
If you really can’t resist the temptation to react each time someone new criticises the guard, it would help the discussion move on if you limited yourself to something like "I disagree. I won't repeat myself, look at page n" rather than "As I have said before ...." and then saying it all over again. Repeating yourself doesn't turn your opinion into a fact. If you'd kindly co-operate, we won’t lose track of the central issues which go way beyond the facts of this one particular case.
It might help if you slowed down, and also tried to think outside the box.
eg You're sometimes so keen to disagree with people that you post without reading what they’ve actually said.
eg You don’t seem to grasp that criticising the guard doesn’t necessarily mean trying to shift the blame. If you take time to think it through, you'll should be able to see it’s possible to disapprove of what both the pilot and the guard did.
IMHO, you do (generally) give the impression of only thinking in black and white. Things aren't always that extreme, they can be both or neither. If you show you are at least trying to think outside the box, it will cause less frustration – and do wonders for your credibility.
You’ve made it very clear you’re not influenced by people asking you not to let your strong views on a side-issue spoil the discussion, and say you’re not bothered by the criticism. If you really don’t care what people think, there’s no point in posting except for personal gratification.