PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Female pilots at Ryanair???
View Single Post
Old 25th Dec 2004, 21:09
Jetlegs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercenary Ali, a touching scene of blissful domesticity. On the surface that is. Dig a bit deeper and we find some curious anomalies. The child is your son but he loves having his Mum around. No mention of your good self there; one wonders if the child, so conspicuously yours, enjoys having his father around? And do you as a father enjoy being around the family and do you enjoy bringing up your child?
Are you any good at it at all? Or is instilling values and raising your child strictly Mum's job? Seeing how much she enjoys being around him and the family?
I am merely asking Mercenary Ali, just curious.
BTW, you might not actually NEED these lady pilots, but who is to say they don't NEED to fly as badly as you do?

Oh and about the 'it worked ok for hundreds of years so why mend something that is not broken? May I suggest you do some reading up on your history? Just so you can in future avoid making statements of such patent silliness. Perhaps you do not enjoy doing historical research? Is that it?
In that case allow me to be of assistance and give you a potted version. ( I know that potted shrimp are a lot more enjoyable but I do so hate to see people making a fool of themselves on these boards)

For brevity's sake, lets start in the middle ages. Rural economies. Men and women participated equally in the task of working the land, running the small holding etc. Bring on the industrial revolution and economies change. Farming became more efficient, releasing large numbers of women and children to take their place at the loom and the workbench. More men came to rely upon selling their labour to employers, rather than relying upon the products of their own household. This meant people were suddenly competing for 'jobs'. As opposed to the old days were all able bodies were needed to keep famine and death at bay.
Next phase, Victorian times. In the competitive job market, getting rid of the women was a great strategy. So women were suddenly deemed too fragile to participate in the workforce. Forced to stay at home and look after the family.

Low and behold, less than 200 years later, people like Mercenari A are absolutely certain that women in the home is the natural order of things 'because it has always been so'.Looking at the history of humankind, 200 seems a rtaher meagre historical perspective. A xomforting one though mr A, very comforting. So do not let me wake you up. Dream on.

Chimbu, can anyone say society will not pay a price, some day, for leaving their kids at home alone or with strangers in a day care. Nope noone can say that. We don't know that yet. I do tend to think that your scenario is not the best for the kids though. But what does that have to do with this discussion?
Or are you, like Mercenary A perhaps, of the opinion that only females can successfully rear the young of our species? That would seem odd, taking into account how you yourself have, after a long battle, taken over the upbringing of your daughter and seem to be doing a very creditable job of it.

You mention the great gender experiment. I respectfully submit that in most of the world, the experiment hasn't even come half way yet.
Only when society makes it possible for both parents to have a share in the meaningful but often stultifyingly boring job of caring for their own young while they at the same time can have a career or a job that satifies and stimulates them, will the experiment have reached it's final result.

Fot what better way for a human being (regardless of gender) to pursue happiness than to be able to fill the full spectre of roles that give life meaning and depth.
Instead of having to live life effectively amputated from half of it's beauty.