PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jetsgo staff surrounded by police to protect them from angry passengers
Old 25th Dec 2004, 16:55
Tan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Copied from another forum..

"Winter storms and pas delays

I just watched a news report, and saw passengers complaining about airlines like ours, AC, and the delays due to the winter storms at YYZ.

We have the capability to land in zero-zero conditions, and it isn't our airlines fault if the Airport Authority where they are landing, isn't spending the required investment to allow that, including, 24 hour, all runway clearing, because of fiscal restraints.

Yet, they charge our airline incredibly expensive landing and gate fees, which we must transfer to the traveling public.
This in turn turns them off from supposedly flying with us!

The news reporters do not put the responsibility on the right people!

They blame, or go along with the band wagon, that AC is causing 24 hour delays, when if the Airport Authority, where that aircraft landed, was more concerned with it's landing and take-off, un-abated, and spent the money required to ensure that, i.e. non stop runway, (all run-ways) and ramps, and gates, then there would be less restricted movement, therefore more of a successful operation, and therefore less cancelled flights, and less backlog!

It's not AC's fault, but it is the Airport Authority's responsibility to overcome this difficulty, when it arises, because they charge a user fee to all airlines to land, maneuver, enter the gates, board passengers, pushback, taxi away, and take off!

This can be done with more equipment and manpower, as the cost to our Air-Carrier, shows!

The News reporters are on the wrong track, when over and over, they say AC has numerous delays, and thousands of passengers are held overnight and sleeping in the terminal, because AC can't take them where they want to go!

Maybe the trick would be to build our own Airport as a Hub, like an under used airport like YWG, The Heart of North America, the geographical centre, provide our own 24 hour, 365 day, serviceable HUB, charge our own passenger user fees, to pay for year round 100% on time performance, instead of these Mega Airports, milking airlines, and the traveling public, to line their own pockets, only to let the Media blame the Airlines, for their inconvenience!

We, as employees, are always challenged by our employer, (AC) to rise above the difficulties in our Daily Jobs, yet none of these Executives or Managers, have thought of this.

WE take wage and benefit concessions, because of this!
Am I the only one who sees this?

They seem to keep blaming you and me for their Inadequacies, in standing up to these Mega groups like Airport Authorities!

Doesn't anyone watch the Weather Channel?

What would be so hard to temporarily hire back laid off people to augment terminal employees, runway clearing personnel, ramp clearing personnel etc?

Force the Airport Authorities hand! If they can't provide, or allow for these emergencies, in this Great White North, then they shouldn't be making the amounts of money that they do, in profit!

The News Reports just don't identify the real scoundrels here, it's just too easy to blame the airline, not their partners in all of this, and lay the financial responsibility for the costs of running and airline, on You and ME!!

If anyone reading this has the where-with all to forward this as an Editorial to a Newspaper, then you have my permission.

Hemi (aka Big Country) AC employee, 24 1/2 years, ACA, YWG, A320 Heavy Maintenance!

I'm just not as politically correct as others on this and other forums.

In My Senior Dumb Humble Opinion!
Plus I type with two fingers!

*edited by billbo*
Last edited by billbo on Dec. 25, 04 at 15:08"