PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jetsgo staff surrounded by police to protect them from angry passengers
Old 25th Dec 2004, 11:05
rotornut

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jetsgo staff surrounded by police to protect them from angry passengers

Thousands of travellers stranded by airlines
CTV.ca News Staff

Thousands of Canadians were stranded Christmas Eve, their travel plans put on ice due to a storm in Quebec and Ontario that led to flight delays at airports everywhere.

A backlog from Thursday's snow and ice storm at Toronto's Pearson Airport caused a ripple effect across Canada. Flight delays that originated in Toronto left travellers from Vancouver to Halifax wondering if they'd get home for the holidays.

Michael Siegler was one of thousands of Canadian travellers taking the long route home Friday night. A simple flight from Halifax to Winnipeg turned tricky.

"First thing when I woke up this morning I was told I might be lucky to get in tomorrow at 10:30 but they did everything they could and they're getting me in tonight at nine o'clock through Edmonton," Siegler said from Halifax International Airport.

"So I'm going from here to Toronto, Toronto to Edmonton, Edmonton to Winnipeg," he said, adding that he was happy to be arriving at his destination on Christmas Eve.

Others weren't so lucky, and some of the angriest customers were traveling with Jetsgo. Thursday's storm meant 23 Toronto flight cancellations and 24 delays for Jetsgo.

"This situation put many Jetsgo crews over the allotted number of hours they are allowed to fly," the Montreal-based airline said in a release. "As a result, some passengers have been unable to reach their final destination."

When Jetsgo staff members announced further flight cancellations on Friday, they were surrounded by security guards and Peel Regional police officers to keep an eye on the angry crowd.

The eight flights cancelled Friday affected incoming flights to Toronto from St. John's, Nfld., Halifax, Moncton, Quebec City, Ottawa, Vancouver, Calgary and Orlando, Fla.

Passengers who had been able to make flight arrangements with other carriers will be given refunds, Jetsgo said.

"Some passengers have opted to return to their point of departure on Jetsgo flights at no cost," Paul Trihey, vice-president of sales and customer service, said in a statement.

Other airlines had troubles, as well. A passenger onboard an Air Canada flight for Halifax called CFTO to say travellers were asked to get off the plane after waiting for one hour because there weren't enough flight attendants. Angry passengers were refusing to de-plane, CFTO's John Musselman reported.