PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EH101 Merlin
Thread: EH101 Merlin
View Single Post
Old 25th Dec 2004, 09:49
Tynecastle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Come on Nick, I'm not dealing in figures I am dealing in facts, look at the 76 accidents, how many people walked away from them, I cannot think of too many, there was a training accident in Baku last year where the 3 crew escaped but seconds later the aircraft was totally destroyed, the accidents with the spindles and blades on the 76, no body stood a chance, the comparison I gave on the 61 everyone walked away from it and this is not war stories, I was and still am working with the companies who were involved in that accidents and they were major accidents.
I'm scratching my head a little over your comments about the N hull though, if you are suggesting the L model is as strong as the N, I do not have the figures you have available, but you will not convince me.
You will not admit it Nick, but the build quality on the 61 was far superior to the 76, a lot of the corrosion problems we found on the 76 was down to poor procedures to start with at manufacture.
Now Nick, I'm not knocking the 76, we fly many hours per year offshore, its a very good aircraft, but it still has its faults, and whatever data you come up with on crashworthiness means nothing if it doesn't work in practice.