PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Becoming a professional pilot, and finding a job
Old 24th Dec 2004, 08:42
Whirlybird

The Original Whirly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
With respect, Rotordog and Whirlygig, I think you're being a little unfair to Jon here. I've met a lot of PPRuNers, and they're often totally different from their posts. That includes one who was really, really slammed on PPRuNe quite recently for seeming immature, ignorant and unrealistic. You'll all remember his name if I tell you...but I'm not going to. Anyway, I met him recently, and he's not at all like that; he's mature, sane, level-headed, and a hell of a nice guy. And he says he's left Rotorheads, partly because of the way he was treated...and who can blame him?

I have a degree in psychology, and for my sins I've worked as an occupational/vocational psychologist, and I can't tell if anyone should be a helicopter pilot just by reading their posts! So take it from me, neither can you. So telling someone that this industry is tough and not as it seems is sensible - I do that - but I'm sorry, friends, telling them that you know that they shouldn't go for it is just....well, I think I've spelled it out, haven't I?

Jon, several things I think Whirlygig is right about though. Firstly, if you do a search on here, you'll find loads of threads on where to train, the pros and cons of the US and the UK, etc. Secondly, do it in stages, looking at the PPL first. People often look too far ahead, when your plans and ideas can change as you learn more, meet more people, find out about helicopter flying and about yourself, etc etc etc. And to go back to your first post, cost is really not everything - check out the reputation of the school, and most importantly, if you get on with them and with your instructor; more important than it might seem.

If you've got any more specific questions, I'll be happy to answer them if I can.