PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Photo Licenses for the FAA
View Single Post
Old 24th Dec 2004, 04:34
WestWind1950

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Up until Germany introduced the JAA license in May 2003 every pilot had to send in 2 photos..... one for his files at the CAA office and one for on the basic licence. Every 2 years the ratings were renewed on separate papers, the basic licence with the picture stayed the same. It was always fun to see what people looked like 20+ years ago No update of the pictures were needed, but at least some kind of photo-ID was there. Our medicals were intigrated into the licence which meant you didn't get that "extra" paper with the rating revalidation without a medical. The licences for normal PPL's were, and still are, issued by the local CAA branch. The CPL's, ATPL's and any licence with IFR ratings are issued by the main CAA office.

I always wondered why the US never had photos on them. And now the new JAA also have none (why do we always have to "copy" the things the USA do... ). BUT, we are required to always carry a legal photo-ID (passport or such) with us at all times! No photo-ID, then your licence is not legal. The medical is also now separate.

I'm all for a photo on the licence.... I have no problem with that.

Westy