PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What would make the PERFECT Flying Jacket?
Old 23rd Dec 2004, 18:52
jellycopter

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
I too like the RAF Cold Weather Jacket but it could be improved upon:

Firstly, the look needs to be more tailored to ensure pilots remain smart on the job.

The velcro on the cuffs wears out and the tabs flap about aimlessly after a couple of years use - maybe a press stud instead (or elastic works for me; provided it's tension is adjustable). Ditto Velcro on the epaulettes.

The RAF Jacket material soaks up water like a sponge after a some use - I'd like to see a fire-proof, water proof and breathable material employed for both lining and outer. It should also be resistant to oil and jet fuel.

The outer should be available in a selection of colours; black, navy, dark grey etc.

The inner should be day-glo yellow with reflective strips sewn in; when reversed, this would then double as a high-viz jacket when airside and as a useful location aid should the worst happen.

It should be machine washable (and ironable for the army types!)

Pen and mag-lite pockets on the arm- definitely!

Mobile phone pocket - yes. Radio pocket - no thanks; too bulky. Frequency card pocket optional - could look scruffy after use.
Main pockets to be zipped to prevent FOD.

Huge pocket on the inside for my wallet and ferrari keys............ sorry; must have nodded off for a minute!

J