PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cathay - fear culture = safety culture?
View Single Post
Old 23rd Dec 2004, 17:15
don't wannabe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fr8t, "crying off in your beer when things get a little tough" eh - no doubt you also use terms such bas "tough managemant" and "if you cannot stand the heat keep away from the fire". All these are terms used by bullying managers which have no place in aviation today. As I mentioned earlier, I had no intention of posting until reading some of the comments here which jogged me into action. After all I thought a forum was a place where people can put thier views across.

The Hong Kong CAD have already been informed of serious transgressions of safety within Cathay Pacific and they also covered the matter up. As mentioned the CAD is a Chinese government department, and the Chinese government own 25% of CX. Add that to the huge corruption problems within China and Hong Kong and you have a heady mix.

I can speak from personal experience of the standards of maintenance at CX. They are abismal. By far the worst of the major carriers I have worked for. Its not what you write up in the log, its the things that are hidden from the log altogether that should be your concern.

If you would like an example of CX maintenance take a recent example. The CX251 engine fire over Moscow. The part not reported was that after flying back to LHR on three engines the second engine on the same wing gave up. It had a surge followed by an egt of over 1000, 400 above the limit. So double engine change at LHR (1 and 2 ). Now every carrier I know of has strict policies when it comes to engine maintenance on the same wing - except CX. When they discover the high power run pen at BA is booked up do they wait? NO. "the crew can carry out the high power run at the start of the T/O roll !! Oh yeah, and I suppose there was a junior second out by the engines with the cowls open. "But wait there, a double engine change on the same wing, mandatory air test under CAA regs" No No not with the HKCAD, the crew can do the air test on its way to HKG with 400 punters on."

Of course no one said anything as the last guy to raise his head up was sacked - oh sorry "made redundant" last year.

I look forward to January when the truth will be out in court.

Oh and if you would like a bit more info try reading Chirp feedback issue 69 in the maintenance section "to check or not to check" and note the correct response from the CAA. More CX maintenance at its best !!