PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Astreus - Any Good
View Single Post
Old 23rd Dec 2004, 15:25
haughtney1

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Hamrah.....

I have followed this thread with a great deal of interest (both professional and personal reasons)...and I would say now that on many points I agree readily with your view point..apart from perhaps that the market will continue to demand Self Sponsered TR's from providers such as yourself in the short/medium term...I believe the jury is still out on that.
On that point, and indeed bearing in mind the premise of supply and demand, is it just enough for the average wannabe to emerge with their shiney new TR with little or no line experience?
Surely a far more economic..and perhaps sustainable approach is to bond said individuals..ala CTC easyjet...rather than recruit on the basis of financial viability (we all know that ultimately finances dictate whether or not a candidate can progress...regardless of whether they scored the highest marks in pre-screening)
My personal opinion is that a speculative TR is just that...speculation, the only real winners in this situation are the TRTO's who gain a return on their investment. Bear in mind that a large percentage of students carry a large debt burden with them, and their expectation is that a TR will secure employment..when plainly this is is just one part of the equation. I wonder Hamrah..given your experience, commercial savy, and perhaps your present situation whether you have taken your position on this due to it being expedient and financially rewarding to do so, rather than providing a value for money career advancement tool to those who will realise their potential(please correct me if I am wrong..or wide of the mark)
I approach this issue from the stand point of a working line pilot.....I see many wannabees sweating blood to get that first opportunity, and then I see companies and individuals exploit that desire (not a personal slight on you...more an observation of the industry as a whole)..I just wonder were will it all end...as I understand it (and I could be wrong...it wouldn't be the first time), your organisation has individuals paying too fly the line, if this is correct..what is next?