PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NERC.... The story so far..
View Single Post
Old 17th Feb 2002, 00:32
brockenspectre

Rainbow Chaser

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

As non-ATC but someone who has always thought of Brit ATC as just about the best in the world (considering what I have heard from my many wonderful jumpseat stays over the past 20 yrs) I am totally appalled that the key senses that ATC relies on, sight and sound, have not been "provisioned" correctly.

When I saw the pic of the new Ops room my first reaction as a 'puter user, was GLARE!!! Then when I hear that not only are the headsets inadequate but the screen displays cannot let sections "enlarge" upon selection by the operator (as do dealer-desks in the City) I am stunned....saddened ... and feel very helpless. Who did the spec' for lighting, headsets and screens? I am happy folks sit in a big space with pretty pictures on the wall but if I were an ATCO (alas too old to train now dammit!) I wouldn't care too much about my environment if I had user-friendly kit! Is NERC management able to do something to make things work? upgrade equipment? or have they been so hog-tied by government or whoever that there is no discretion....geesh...guess all I can say is Good Luck and hope y'all don't get too many headaches.