PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Centralised Engineering At Lyneham
View Single Post
Old 23rd Dec 2004, 00:25
16 blades

Short Blunt Shock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think some of the point has been missed here by those not familiar with Lyneham's eng setup.

Lyneham has NEVER had Sqn-based engineering - it has always been centralised. Eng Wg was, and still is, a separate entity to the Fg Sqns, from OC Eng right down to all the LACs.

The fact that Sqn based engineering works better has little to do with esprit de corps - it has more to do with the fact that Sqn JEngOs report directly to the Sqn Cdr, and can be dragged into his office to explain themselves when ac fall over. At Lyneham, JEngOs, SEngOs and OC Eng Wg don't give a sh1t if XX Sqn loses a task due to ac unserviceability, because they are not accountable directly to the Sqns, therefore do not get bollocked for slacking off or fcuking up (in the Sqn's eyes).

In modern, NMS, cuddly-fluffy business-like speak, we (the Sqns)are their 'customers' (-chokes back vomit) and as such should expect to recieve a minimum level of service. But what if we don't? Where do we go to complain? There is no direct command-chain link between us and the engineers, so when we complain, we get 'fcuking aircrew, blah blah blah'. If there WERE a direct command-chain link, a Sqn Cdr could say to his JEngO "Get this fcuking aircraft fixed", and it would happen. THATS why it works better that way.

We have always had 2 1st lines at Lyneham; when the fleet split, they were renamed 'K-line' and 'J-line' to represent the split fleet. What they are now doing is combining them for mixed-type servicing, presumably having everybody (or at least enough of the workforce) dual-qualified.

Like others have said already, a stupid idea. Unfortunately, it is an even more stupid idea than the original setup, which was already a stupid idea.

I have already been on the recieving end of this idiocy - delayed 2 hours due to some of the shoddiest servicing and associated paperwork I have seen in double-digit service.

Women - Know Your Limits!!!!!!!!!! ;-D

16B