PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MK Airlines B747 crash at Halifax
View Single Post
Old 22nd Dec 2004, 19:03
Tawny Eagle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I understand that according to ‘Cejkovice’, houses built “1000ft off the end of the runway” is within acceptable terms of safety. I doubt this to be a reasonable thought. Since MK moved mid-August from Manston to Belgium’s Ostend (to the satisfaction of the Ramsgate neighbourhood), the new host airport has four to five MK-movements a day.
The day before the Halifax crash, MK’s Boeing took off in Ostend bound for Luxemburg, from where it started its unfortunate trip using a “heavy crewing” system. I try to imagine what an improper throttle setting would have caused in Ostend after an extra long schedule flight. At either end of the runway houses and shopping centres are built there at the so-called safety distance of 1000ft (even less). An identical crash would have occurred within an urban area.
I learned from local people that Belgian authorities intend to built more houses in the direct vicinity of the runway. It seems that authorities are not impressed at all by the possible consequences of a similar crash. Put this insanity together with MK’s questionable safety improvements to figure out in which catastrophe such a combination might result. A 1000ft safety distance is far from being reasonable.