PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A few facts about Cathay Freighters
View Single Post
Old 22nd Dec 2004, 18:11
don't wannabe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cathay experience

I would agree with everything written by GDOP. I had no intention of posting on this forum until I read the experiences of many people within CX but it is time to speak.

Firstly, for any Cathay legal types out there, these are my views and as a British subject Reserve the right to free speech. This is not China!!

Cathay Pacific operate under a culture of fear. You put up and shut up and if you question you are out, its that simple. The company runs these policies from the top down in order to save money. The company is 25% owned by CITIC, the commercial arm of the Chinese government. In case you are not aware China are not exactly world leaders in human rights. A worker can still be imprisoned for being a member of a trade union. These influences and the poor employment rights in Hong Kong give Cathay the environment they need to operate without a second thought for the rights of the employee.

I have seen people sacked for raising serious safety concerns about aircraft, another bullied to a nervous breakdown. A young woman sexually harrassed then put on garden leave and her pay stopped in an effort to make her resign in order to protect the people harrassing her. Many people raising grievances and not once the company found anything wrong. Yes you will be O.K as long as you can see this abuse of rights and turn a blind eye.

Ask yourselves this - why do Cathay Pacific have so many incidents? bad luck, I don't think so. People are afraid to say or do the right thing because they will be next.

Oh and if anyone is in the U.K and would like the proof of this the man sacked will be at the Watford employment tribunal on 17-21 January 2005 where he will be providing around 600 pages of evidence to prove this, I know because I have seen it, journo's more than welcome.

Oh and he will not be taking a £10,000 payoff with a comprehensive gagging order either (Cathays usual defence).

Those who work for Cathay please ask yourselves, how many people must tell the same story before you believe it?