PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "Clear Prop!"
Thread: "Clear Prop!"
View Single Post
Old 22nd Dec 2004, 14:50
Echo Zulu Yankee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ah! a topic recently brought home to me!

Having been a firm member of the "shout it loudly before starting" club for many a year I was recently taken aback when, upon starting up a 152 for a flight with an instructor friend, he said "please don't shout that! its the most dangerous thing you can do"

After calmly thinking about what he has said for a few seconds I asked him to clarify.

Apparently he had once also been a member of the shout loudly club until a rather unfortunate incident.
He was flying in South Africa in a bipe taildragger with very poor forward vision when on the ground (cant remember the type). He shouted "Clear Prop" prior to starting and a fellow brit, who was nearby but could only just hear my friend due to engine noise elsewhere, wandered over to see what all the noise was!

The next thing my mate knew about it a head was popping over the cowling with a friendly "Alright over here?" just as the prop began to turn.

Luckily both of them had fast reacions, the guy lept to the floor and back before any damage could be done and the pilot managed to shut it down before the prop got really swinging.

From that moment on he has never shouted it prior to turning the prop for fear of a repeat, but possibly more nasty, event.

Which I can sort of see the sense in really, do you not agree?

EzY