PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Astreus - Any Good
View Single Post
Old 22nd Dec 2004, 14:15
Captain Chuckles

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interesting to see all the Astraeus/Bond employee's crawling out of the woodwork when there is a scent of discord.

puritan/crashdive do you remember this post you made?
My personal opinion - and I'm pretty sure that Hamrah (JM), PPT (Robin), Captain PPRuNe (Danny), and numerous others will support this - is that self-sponsoring oneself through a jet type rating is a very risky undertaking !

Indeed it would be true to say that there is many an organisation that would have you part company with lots of your very hard earned money in return for that (supposedly) lucrative 'jet-qualified' addition to your license - HOWEVER having the rating is, I'm afraid, not enough.

E.g. (imho) Any reputable operation would be able to offer some level of 'line training' over and above the 'basic type rating'.
As to why ? Well, doing an intense ground school course, followed by the minimum amount of simulator, and a few tight ‘base-training’ circuits in the real aircraft ( all over a period of about 10 weeks, minimum ) does not make you a jet airline pilot !

It is crucial that the intense ground school/sim/etc is consolidated by an equally intense period and standardised period of 'Line Training' - and it is often for this reason alone that many airline Ops Directors / Chief Pilots will strongly caution ab-initio pilots against spending money on a self-sponsored type-rating(s), i.e. the whole thing is an enormous gamble - and so folks trained as such are often viewed with a somewhat jaundiced eye.

So, and unpalatable is it may seem, it might pay to remember that just because you have a (F)ATPL plus a shiny new (self -sponsored) jet type rating in your CPL license it does NOT guarantee you a job at the front of said same jet – indeed, imho, the thing that really seems to make the difference is that extra bit of 'sparkle' that you're able to 'bring to the party' (so to speak), i.e the stuff outside of the aviation arena.

Rgds,

Tony.
It is interesting that you used to think it was a huge gamble, and interesting to remember a few years ago that a group of people who are now selling type ratings and have used PPRuNe to show case it all used to tell PPRuNe Seminars that buying a type rating is a Bad Idea as you learn from incorrect SOp's and generally self funded rating guys usually have had short cuts in their training. How do you spell hypocrit?

yes, you may scream at regular intervals that there are no guarantees with it all, but when the interest rates go up and people can't afford to take out a second mortgage anymore to pay for the gamble of a SSTR it wont be long before Bond wont be able to subsidise Astreaus anymore.