PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAE Farnborough - steeped in history
View Single Post
Old 22nd Dec 2004, 12:14
John Farley

Do a Hover - it avoids G

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[IMG][/IMG]

Milt

I never worked in what was NGTE but we called Pystock (as G said) Today I believe there is very little of it left in terms of active test cells.

My NGTE time was spent with their flight section on the airfield. This rather poor pic shows the Lincoln they used for reheat trials using a Derwent as a gas generator. My job was moving from front to rear changing paper in various recorders. It would go very high and had special Merlins modded for 40k plus. Not surprisingly I had a touch of the bends a couple of times due to exertions on a walk about O2 bottle.

One mad bugger, not our normal pilot, when on the way home used to insist on lighting the reheat and descending to low level over the Channel and leaving a wake when the sea was calm.

My apprentice master at the time - a boffin by the name of Ray Holl - was one of the original powerjets mafia and went on to be a senior player for the MOD PE on the engine side and in the 70's I used to work with him in that capacity over Pegasus issues. Small world.

JF