PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - HOLDING POSITIONS
View Single Post
Old 11th Feb 2002, 04:11
Data Dad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As I said on the other thread (Hands up who likes the new avoiding action phraseology) at my unit we side step the Holding Positions bit by using the "Taxy to....(location)"

As far as I am aware none of my colleagues thinks the phraseology changes are positive. It does however raise an interesting point which has been causing some discussion in the tower.... WE as ATCO's are constantly bombarded with these phraseology changes which result in convoluted and often tortuous RT in an effort to prevent pilots doing something stupid - like taking off without an actual take-off clearance being issued. What or how are pilots kept up to speed on these changes???

It's painfully obvious from many threads on this forum and through what I hear day in day out on the RT that many pilots are not kept up to date on RT phraseology, what needs to be read back etc.

We have our LCE's to monitor our RT and pick US up if it's not "standard" - how are pilots checked for RT proficiency?

And whilst I am in long-winded mode Surely in this day and age of electronic flight decks, it's not beyond the wit of Messrs Airbus and Boeing to put a simple little slide bar thing in the cockpit which the pilot moves to indicate that he has received a landing or take-off clearance? Would save an awful lot of repeated landing clearances, grief and form filling

DD