PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What would make the PERFECT Flying Jacket?
Old 22nd Dec 2004, 06:41
goaround7

Had mine made with extra long sleeves so it still reaches my wrists when I ride a motorcycle:

Dependant on the type of Operation (HEMS/POLICE/SAR/CIVILIAN) What would make the perfect flying jacket?

ARM POCKET - What is the best you have used or seen? - What should a good pocket include? (e.g Space for pens and a Torch?) - Any need for a zip pocket for Epaulettes etc? THINK ANY POCKET WOULD DO FOR EPAULETTES. WOULD LIKE SOMETHING TO KEEP CELL PHONE SECURE.

ID BADGE - Is it a requirement to have an ID badge on the left chest? - If so Velcro attached or permanent fixing? VELCRO, OTHERWISE YOU LOOK LIKE A DORK OFF BASE.

EPAULETTES - Do you need epaulette flaps? YES BUT IF THEY ARE MADE SO THEY DON'T CATCH ON HEADSET CORDS.

CUFFS - Do you find that some jackets catch on controls etc? - HAVE ELASTIC CUFFS ON USN JACKET - WORKS WELL.

UNDERARM ZIPS - When you get hot in cockpit, would underarm vent zips be useful? YEP, AND INTEGRAL AIR CON PLEASE. OR ZIP OFF SLEEVES ?

POCKETS - What type of pockets are required, and for what items?(e.g What type of radios do you use and could they be stored on the jacket?) SOMETHING FOR LEATHERMAN AS NO BELT IF WEARING FLIGHT SUIT UNDERNEATH

FABRIC - Colour? - Do you need them to be high viz with scotchlite tape on? - Do they need to be Fire resistant? I SUSPECT YOU'D NEED A RANGE TO MEET ALL TASTES.

AREAS OF WEAR - What areas wear quickest and why? (e.g Do your elbows wear when you are treating a patient?) NO COMMENT.

COLLAR - What type of collar and why?(e.g Collar with hood? Collar that doesn't get in the way of the helmet?) DON'T THINK NEED HOOD BUT IF SO, ZIPPED INSIDE COLLAR ?

WAISTBAND - Drawstring pulleys like Ski jackets or elastic like MA2 jackets? SAFETY ISSUE ON DRAWSTRINGS ? SNAGGING ?

STORAGE - How can they be stored in cockpit to keep them out og the way?(e.g Would a drawstring bag be useful to attach somewhere? DON'T KNOW. JUST DURABLE ENOUGH TO BE CHUCKED IN BOOT.

LINER - Do they need to be waterproof? IF IT'S BREATHABLE. Would a zip in/out fleece be useful? MINE IS LIKE THAT BUT NEVER USE FLEECE LINING - MAYBE IN A COLDER CLIMATE ?

LOGOS - What type of logos are required and could be used as standard? COMPANY SPECIFIC I WOULD HAVE THOUGHT

ARM FREQUENCY POCKET - If a clear plastic arm pocket could be put onto the jackets, would this come in handy for frequencies, patient details etc or not? YES, VERY FOR SINGLE PILOT OPS. SAVES WRITING ON THE BACK OF YOUR HAND.

CUT - DO you find jackets at the moment to be cumbersome or uncomfortable to wear in the cockpit? YES - Would a jacket that is more flexible be better?YES - What types of area get in they way? BUNCH UP AT WAIST. DIFFICULT TO OPEN UP FRONT PAST HARNESSES WHEN GET TOO WARM. RIDE UP AND EXPOSE BACK AND ARMS WHEN DOING PREFLIGHT. SLEEVES SNAG WHILE PUTTING HANDS INSIDE COWLINGS ETC.

WHERE DO I ORDER MY 'WONDERJACKET' ? OH YES, AND A FOIL SURVIVAL BAG SEWN INTO THE LINING, AND SOMETHING TO HOLD A WATER BOTTLE, AND X-RAY PROOF SO I DON'T HAVE TO TAKE ALL MY **** OUT OF POCKETS AT IMMIGRATION, AND AUTOMATIC DEODORANT FOR THOSE LONG HOT DAYS, AND...