PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Centralised Engineering At Lyneham
View Single Post
Old 21st Dec 2004, 13:12
TwoDeadDogs

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

Hi all
My 2d worth...It reads like their Airships are trying to introduce airline practice and/or JAR 145/66 by the backdoor and getting it wrong.....we had a guy try the same in the early 90s in our little Fuerza Aerea over here.For once, the spanner-wielders and the fliers united,unofficially, and stonewalled the process. The heli guys didn't want the unwashed from turboprop land fettling their beloved rotors, and vice versa.The process was allowed to fade away.....the downside of individuality was duplication, with two seperate radio/avionic shops and other multiplied facilities, that weren't strictly necessary on one site. Up to a point, I agree with a lot of the correspondents here, but I think airline-style multi-typing and multi-tasking will be brought in, like it or lump it. For example, our division of the national Airline has had five different Types in 21 years, often simultaneously, as one was introduced and the other phased out. It was and is expected that we adapt to all sizes and shapes, regardless. Our airline used to be crippled with antiquated union practices and jobsworthism ( mechs not allowed to change lights....avos can't change wheels,etc) that dragged us down, not helped us grow and survive. To a certain extent, those old practises are still prevalent in our Military and their servicability rates are often appalling. Also, I wouldn't like to be stuck on one Type for all of my career. If I was told by the Boss that I'd be a Jag-fixer til I fell out of the food-chain, I'd go spare. Same if I was a pilot, Military or Commercial. Perhaps there is a case for centralisation,at some level.Certainly, there is no case for not-around-hereism or stagnation of any kind.
regards
TDD