PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New FAA to JAA conversion rules?
View Single Post
Old 21st Dec 2004, 01:54
Dog Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grrr clear as mud

Sorry guys, I am sure this has been beaten to death but opinion seems to keep clouding the actual information.

I just want to convert an FAA ATP to a JAA to try for an Asia job (family is there).

I have been left seat in 121 for years and thousands of hours and just was wondering if this is a conversion that can be done in the us. Is it required to attend school ? How many test ? Are study materials easy to get? Who do I talk to ?

The next part is just venting...
I see some are a little down on us in the US, sorry. We are a little less involved in red tape and more into moving airplanes. I guess it is because the flying is cheep enough (lucky for you and me) that we can use the plane instead of the pen. Both work very well but… I would rather be with a guy that has 10,000 hours in a plane than 10,000 hours in class. I can say that I learned far more spinning a spanner that thumping a book (done both). Engineers are the last person you want fixing something (I am one but prefer to admit my dirty mechanic hands). I know what an IRS is and I can even point one out in the E&E bay. Bet the average engineer can't. Either way, I am not allowed to replace one as the PIC. If it fails, there is not much I can do inflight to fix it. There is a point where a pilot is too smart for his own good. So many 'know-it-alls' get involved in the problem and forget to fly the plane. We must know how things work but how many rivets in a gear door is anal. We need and MUST have people with both backgrounds and to say that one is better than the other is ludicrous. Sorry, it just yanks my chain when someone thinks real world experience has no value.