PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Centralised Engineering At Lyneham
View Single Post
Old 20th Dec 2004, 23:04
Jobza Guddun

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts
Centralised Maintenance

Gents et al,

This may be news to some but not to others. It is highly likely that ALL RAF aircraft engineering is going this way. Centralised Maintenance Units are certainly being mooted at Marham under the LEAN / E2E and will probably happen next year, although it is allegedly only a low-down proposal.

I for one and many of my oppo's feel quite strongly about our squadron and take a great deal of pride serving on it and being part of its achievements. Groundcrew ARE proud when THEIR aircrew do well at something, and likewise deflated when they don't. The squadron system is what the RAF is all about, and always has been. Could I even be so crass and cheeky as to say that the squadron possibly means more to GC because they tend to stay on it longer than AC?

If all the engineering goes Centralised, I personally think it could be the biggest self-inflicted mistake the RAF could make. For instance, why would the vast majority of GC give a toss if the "flying squadron" achieve their CFT each month or not? Doesn't affect me, it's not my sqn anymore.

Another instance: take the sqn/station Families Day - we feel a buzz if we manage to successfully launch the 4-ship and spare for the flypast, especially when our families see OUR jets doing their thing. You all know what I mean. PRIDE. Again, why would we give a toss if they weren't anything to do with us?

All I see with this proposal/certainty is reduced availability for you fliers due to lack of morale and interest. Don't think standards will drop, but motivation will. Why work till 4am to generate a spare jet for the programme, when I can work till 2, give you the minimum and if you drop a sortie due to crew-out, thats tough.

Guys and girls with growbags:- if you empathise with my views here, YOU are the people who can probably put a stop to this centralised nonsense; nobody listens to Blunties but everyone listens to aircrew. I believe if enough aircrew with a bit of rank make enough noise, then the proposal could be quashed, while people still care. From conversations I've had with mates at Brize/Lyneham, CMU's don't have an feeling of identity or pride- is that why our AT availability is poor?

Yes, this IS my soapbox subject, it's one I strongly believe in fighting for. Despite what one of my EngO's thinks, I am not "resistant to change", I just know a good thing when I see it. And a crap thing.

If you're a champion of Centralised Groundcrew, do tell us why ripping the heart out of our system is a good idea.