PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Anti virus
Thread: Anti virus
View Single Post
Old 20th Dec 2004, 21:11
SeldomFixit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This has to be one of the biggest conundrums associated with computing. The short answer has to be, there is no one solution. Good, better, best, crap all figure in some small way with whichever AV suite you choose.
I had a problem several years ago that whatever I was using quite happily at the time ( and what I imagined to be, quite securely ) simply failed to find. I downloaded AVG and "bingo ", found, fixed and forgotten. At that time AVG free had a time limitation that although you could go through the revolving door and re-up it, ceased to be available for some reason.
So, after deciding that a fully paid up and updated AV suite would HAVE to be better, I spent the next several years blissfully happy and smugly secure until I had a suspicion yesterday that all was not well. True to the form on this forum ( and a huge thanks to BOAC/Mr O'Grady and Liam ) the information and assistance proved it to be so and whereas Norton/Housecall/Spybot/AdAware/sypwareguard/Adawarespy all failed to find my 4 infections, EWIDO, installed and run at Mr O'Grady's suggestion was the duck's guts.
Will I keep Nortons ? you bet ( it's paid for ) - Will I keep using EWIDO ? you bet . Will I keep every other piece of good/better/best/crap solution I've previously had so mucg faith in ? you bet. Until my next infection, which like day following night ( or is that night following day ) is only a crappy site visit away.
Every file EWIDO found was some sort of keylogger. This is scary stuff when you think how on-line dependant we've become.
Love to sit and chat but I've got about 15 passwords to change.
Thanks again ALL for the never ending assistance so freely given on this forum.