PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - GPS Navigation software PC/PDA
View Single Post
Old 20th Dec 2004, 12:14
englishal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What does that mean?
Probably that although it has nice road maps on which will show a position on the street, its not really geared up to be used for aviation.

I used memory map and iPaq with BT GPS, and its exellent. The IPAQ has a great screen which actually gives good visibility in direct sunlight (can't remember the technical name) which means you just set the screen backlight to a lower setting and can still use it just fine.

From my observations the BT GPS unit will run about 10 hours on a couple of AA's and the IPAQ about 3, so it is worth powering the IPAQ from the aircraft, or getting an additional high capacity external battery.

Its fantastic when flying across high desert regions at night, last time I flew from Sedona to Laughlin at night and it was nice to have the GPS info. Also makes interesting reading when you downwload the track to the desktop after the flight (looking at my speed profile, I crossed the departure end of Laughlins runway during my "std overhead join" at 160 knots GS while trying to descend to circuit height after clearing the mountains)