PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - GPS Navigation software PC/PDA
View Single Post
Old 20th Dec 2004, 06:14
shortstripper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Most of my Nav over the years has been non nav-aid as most of my flying has been in PFA types with no electrikery.

So far (gulp!... "tempting fate") I've never actually got lost, although I have experienced the occassional "temporarily unsure of position" bit When I did an IMC I was pretty impressed with the VOR and rather less so of ADF but still thought they were OK ... (not that I ever put them to great use as I've not flown an IFR equipped a/c since).

GPS is something I really haven't got into. I did buy one of those little cheapo handhelds quite early on, but it kept losing signal so did nothing to instill much confidence. However, I've just got an Ipaq 1945 for work and I so wish to drag myself into the 21st century at last. So I'm in the same boat as ptkay in seeking info on the best way forward, so here's a couple of questions.

1. I've seen plenty of TomTom gps units for PDA's on ebay. The type with cable connections go for around £60 and the bluetooth ones £80-£90. Are these TomTom gps units any good? and other than having no cables are bluetooth ones any better? ... I'm thinking I can live with cables if power consumption is a lot less and advantages limited.

2. When it comes to memory map software, will any MM software designed for PDA's work? or do you have to buy it bundled with the correct maps? In other words if I buy the CAA charts for PDA do I have to buy dedicated MM software or will another cheaper ebay sourced one work?

Thanks for any answers

SS