PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A few facts about Cathay Freighters
View Single Post
Old 20th Dec 2004, 01:37
CruisingSpeed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thought I wasn’t going to comment on my bad time there, but the first post is too accurate on most points to ignore, all I can say is that it matches personal experience with the company.

The unbelievable arrogance, the undisguised threats, the whole tone and atmosphere in my one year interview was something I have never experienced before in my life, and hopefully never will again, I was totally put off and quite angry afterwards. I suppose my response was not as required and in retrospect it is little wonder I was told to leave after 1,5 years. It did come as a shock however, because I passed my checks and got on extremely well with the guys on the line.

The flipside of the coin is that I had some family problems and a considerable amount of stress and distraction which failed me a sim a few months prior to my dismissal. Later discovered that every sim is a check there, and that it doesn’t matter a hoot if you nailed the regulatory ones. I agree that there is little or no training and no-one to develop or help you out if you run into problems, be that personal or professional.

What Baywatcher said may be right to a certain degree and who wouldn’t be inclined to agree as long as on the sunny side of things, however, what use is a financially secure airline where you are paid half a decent salary when they mistreat and intimidate their staff. What happens when things DO go pearshaped, when, for whatever reason, the focus is laid on you and you get “checked out”. I have seen more than a few sad cases in my time there but found little or no account of this on this forum, understandably most would keep quiet about this in order to move on unnoticed and avoid suspicion that you are either “a fool or incompetent”, very interesting.

Hong Kong has no labour protection, you are out of the door anytime with no reason required, I guess this legal background is the underlying foundation of company policy and attitude.