PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Santa Flights
View Single Post
Old 19th Dec 2004, 23:20
Manchester Exile

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Around 1990-1992, I used to help out on the BA Santa flights from Manchester. I'm not sure if they still do them, but back then they were a great success. As a bonus, I got to fly on the last official BA BAC 1-11 flight from Manchester, which left on Christmas Eve after operating the last santa flight - a celebration flight for BA staff and other invited guests (Of which I was one).

We would dress up a BAC 1-11 with a bright red nose, Rudolf smiling teeth and antlers. Kids (and adults) would get on board, to be told that we were flying to the North Pole to pick up santa, who would beam aboard Star-Trek style. Shortly after take-off, we would instruct the passengers to shut their window blinds, to stop magic leaking from the aircraft. In fact, it was an attempt to disguise the fact that we were nowhere near the north pole, but actually flying around the Irish Sea and Isle of Man.

Santa would then beam aboard behind the curtain at the front galley, complete with sound effects and flashing lights. He'd hand out presents to each passenger, then we'd have a sing -along, then we'd land back at Ringway.

I remember one year we positioned in from Manchester to Blackpool, to operate Santa flights from there too.

It was great fun - but we'd get nowhere near the north pole!

Manchester Exile