PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAAF Flight Screening Programme
View Single Post
Old 19th Dec 2004, 21:26
pinny

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Greetings all,

it's been said here many times before but I'd like to share my personal experience with you. I'm merely a newly graduated RAAF pilot (graduated on No. 200 pilots' course on 10 December 2004). From my experience the process of becoming a RAAF pilot is a long journey filled with highs and lows of which depending on your ability will either be balanced somewhere around 'equally' or favouring the highs. If it's favouring the lows then maybe your should pick another career because you are probably working too hard (too close to maximum capacity) to get a worthwhile enjoyment out of it. Yes, pilots' course CAN and will be enjoyable! It's what you decide to make of it. If you live in fear of failure then you probably will fail. If you decide to focus your energy on fixing what instructors are telling you to fix instead of 'please don't fail' then you will be more than half way there. There will be times when you say to yourself 'why the f*ck am I doing this to myself?!', and unless you are have an extraordinary (emphasis on EXTRA, as opposed to just ordinary) you are going to be doing it tougher than most of your peers. Military pilots' course will make you sweat, and maybe even shed a few tears. You will never feel like you 'have it in the bag'. Every ride is as important as the next, but you can only focus on one ride at a time. If you get too far ahead of yourself you will trip up. At the end of it though, you will be rewarded with what is considered by many to be the best career in the world. Not a bad rap for 2 years of gritting your teeth. And remember, if it was easy your grandmother would be doing it.