PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Marine Explorer Hunts for Earhart's Plane
Old 19th Dec 2004, 17:00
PaperTiger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No, you're not imagining it, I remember it too although I thought it was Nova. Anyway it was the TIGHAR expedition of 1991:
Nikumaroro

Operations: Side-scan sonar search of atoll perimeter. Onshore search of eastern beach area for possible campsite reported seen in 1944. Excavation of small grave on southern arm of atoll. Further examination of abandoned village at west end.

Artifacts Recovered: Sonar search negative. Search for campsite negative. Grave found to contain bones of an infant. Remnants of shoes found near grave site. Additional aircraft debris found in village.

Results: Shoe remnants are consistent with shoes worn by Earhart. Some aircraft debris is consistent with WWII B-24 (probably brought from Sydney Island). Other aircraft debris is not consistent with any known WWII type and is consistent with Earhart's Lockheed Model 10E Special.
Inconclusive and no follow-up so I guess they decided it was a dead end. You can google TIGHAR fro more info (not sure a link is allowable here - they want your money !).