PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Becoming a professional pilot, and finding a job
Old 18th Dec 2004, 18:41
Whirlybird

The Original Whirly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This isn't in answer to anyone's post specifically but might be relevant. I recently changed flying schools as the CFI of the last one hated my guts. Why, I kept asking myself. I moved heaven and earth to get on with him, and as regulars on this forum know, I can be tactful and gracious...when I want to be! But nothing worked. Basically he was jealous - because I had another career to pay the bills when the weather was bad and there were no students, because I instruct part time because I love it, because I get on well with students and they kept coming back. He could do nothing but fly helicopters, and if he liked students - or liked anyone - he hid it very well. Things went from bad to worse on the personality-clash level, and I found another job and left.

I still can't quite believe what happened last week! He flew into my new airfield, and went to the helicopter school. My new CFI says he appeared to have gone there purely to whinge and whine about me! Can you believe it? He hated me, told me to go, I went, and he follows me to complain about me.

Anyway, the only explanation is that this is a sad confused soul who would like to be doing something other than instructing in a small helicopter school in the winter, but he can't. And he resents the fact that I can. Me, I'm grateful that I can afford to enjoy instructing, despite the fact that today I just about covered expenses.

For the record, I phoned the owner of the first school, whose comment was: "Oh, we can't have that; this industry is too small for that kind of thing". He had the sense to see that it wouldn't help any of us. But it's a small industry, and while I'm glad my present employer doesn't take the attitude that there's no smoke without fire, some people may. This may not help me at all, just when I'm making some headway in a new career. Do I care? Yes. But will it affect my ability to pay the bills? No.

I won't spell out any morals of this tale, but I just thought some of you might like to hear it.