PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Defence Cuts..I mean re-organization!
View Single Post
Old 18th Dec 2004, 12:40
SirToppamHat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrive at new workplace with kettle. Taken away by techies for testing, authorisation and cable replacement(has to be low-smoke and zero-halogen compliant).

Returned with sheath over existing cable. Kettle now next to useless as flex no longer flexes to reach socket.

Why not change the cable? Sorry, says the cpl, can't do that because it would involve crimping, which we're not authorised to do. Needs special tools, (2-wk?) training course, annual refresher etc etc.

Having confirmed this was not a wind-up, asked him what would happen if I took the kettle home and changed the cable myself then presented it for testing, registration etc. Response? They would confirm cable OK, test and inspect then let me use it.

These are professional CE technicians. It has cost the RAF a fortune to train them yet they are treated like children, whilst the RAF pays for external contractors to come in and do jobs that they could do themselves. It's no wonder some of them are pi**ed-off. This chap had 400 other existing minor electrical items to check annually!