PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilots reporting speed control
View Single Post
Old 15th Nov 2001, 16:38
HugMonster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
spekesoftly - thanks for that. At last a rather more rational response.

As I have tried many times to point out, no pilots that I know deliberately fails to follow ATC instructions. We are (frequently painfully) aware that you guys are there to help us. As I have also said, we are not perfect, make no claim to be so, but most pilots take a pride in what they do, and make an effort continuously to improve.

Pointing out that when ATC ask for speed control, or heading, or whatever to be reported to the next sector on 1xx.xx means that we are required to do so is less than helpful.

As I said, and speke softly also says, we are all part of the same team, with the same aim - to get the aircraft to their destinations safely, legally and expeditiously. You have pressure on you which many pilots don't appreciate. We also have different ressures on us, which most ATCOs don't appreciate.

As soon as you start to think your job is getting us down, and that our job is to do what you say, teamwork is lost. That teamwork is also lost as soon as a pilot begins to think in terms of ATCOs being there only to give him the service he requires.

As Flight Safety Officer at my last company, I actively encouraged our pilots to visit ATC at our home base. I'm sorry to say I got a very poor response. I also extended an invitation to ATC to fly JS with us, and the respose was nil.

In my experience there is very little understanding generally between pilots and ATCOs of each others' jobs and pressures. Unfortunately there is not much encouragement to change that. Liaison and understanding will make the jobs of all of us a lot easier.